Template/background

Saturday 10 September 2011

It has been a very strange week. A week of success, disappointment and surprises. I can't talk about the surprises quite yet but when I can I will. Never been one of secrets, even though I suspect I have plenty of them (I just forget!)

Whatever way I look at it there is a large period of change is ahead here at BeeBee Towers. A time for reflection, a time for action, a time for structure. I truly am excited (and if I'm truthful exceedingly nervous) to see what this new lifestyle will bring.

There is also a return to something I had pre-children, time. Time to do things for me. Six years of doing things for the boys in my house. Six years of putting the Thing 1 and later Thing 2 first. Yes they are still my priority. But, if I carry on the way I have been I'll burn out, I'm already horrendous to live with on a Saturday.

However, I'm now facing those dilemmas that many other working mothers face, Childcare. Where to send them, what to do, who is the right person? I don't have any family near by. I do however have some fabulous friends. Thankfully most of the year the boys are in school. I have found a lovely girl who will take care of them on a Monday, and one of my best friends will have them on Wednesdays.

These were tough decisions, I haven't used any real childcare in the last 6 years, apart from the 9 months Thing 1 spent at Mother Outlaw's Creche one day a week, it's not the reason we have children to hand them over to others to care for. But looking back it's always happened. Now it has a name.

When I was 6 or 7 I remember there would be 4 children at the breakfast table at my Mum's house. I was an only child so I know full well they weren't siblings. What it was, in now speak, was a breakfast club. We all would have porridge with syrup and walk to infant school together. After school I would go to my Grandparent's house next to the school

This also happened before the 70s. It is a community, a neighbourhood. Something that is sadly lacking these days, yet also appears to be returning. For this I am grateful and I pray that this trend continues so when my boys have their own families that a sense community has returned and people will be there for each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment