Template/background

Wednesday 31 August 2011


It's been one of those days, a challenging day from beginning to end. 

I have two boys with an aversion to sleep past 5am, a husband with a need for sleep but who can't, and then there is me the one who wants to sleep, can sleep but isn't allowed to sleep. Saying that, today's challenges were not all down to the lack sleepy dust at BeeBee Towers. Alas, they were down to one itty bitty almost 6-year- old boy known to you as Thing 1. 

A couple of things of note about Thing 1:

1. He has a short fuse - like his mamma
2. He is incredibly quick - like his mamma
3. He gets very narky when he is overtired - like his mamma
4. He likes to get his own way - like his mamma
5. He gets bored very easily - like his mamma
5. He thinks sleep is boring - like an alien from the planet Nosleepicus

Today we took a trip to the Hospital in our nearest city. So far so good. The Husband, Thing 1, Thing 2 a myself all arrived at our destination on time through rush hour traffic, got parked (a feat in itself) and arrived at the Eye Clinic's reception area. Thing 1 at this point is mellow. 

Eye drops time. I take Thing 1 for the 'evil' eye drops (he swears to me they smell of honey - I take his word for this under no circumstances do I want to be seen sniffing anybodies eyes). Of course they sting like a paper cut and lemon juice. We've been through this procedure before. This is the 8th eye test he has been to in the last year. We still don't know if he needs glasses or not as up to today hasn't actually completed an eye test... due to boredom. Reading is boring. 

Hearing this is like fingernails down a blackboard to me. So we've changed tack with the eye test. Today The Husband took Thing 1 into the room. Today, with a new ophthalmologist, Thing 1 has completed his first eye test! This is vaguely good news... But, we now have to come back in another month. An astigmatism has now been found in one of his eyes as well as being slightly long sighted. His eyes work perfectly, 3D vision is already at that of an adult. 

We leave the hospital at 11am, then all merry hell broke loose thanks to the wonder boy that is Thing 1. He was hungry, he wanted to eat, he wanted this, he wanted that. He needed sleep. So get him and today's ever suffering Thing 2 a sandwich, drink and crisp (not healthy but back seat of car friendly). We get home and the next moan begins, we didn't see the tardis/dalek/cyberman at the petrol station on the way home. I don't have any toys to play with and no where to sit. 

Then 2 hours of peace erupted. Thanks to the Chuckle Brothers. I never thought I'd be so grateful to them as I am today. As giggles of silliness broke I got chance to peruse my Healthy Extras in my Food Optimising Bible and discovered today's food find of the day... Stewed dried apricots (with a dash of almond and vanilla extract plus a dredging of sweetener) topped with Total 0% Greek Yogurt. Divine way to spend an Healthy Extra. 

Now I've whiled away the evening in work. The Things 1 and 2 should be asleep, The Husband should also be drowsing. I may even get to read my book. 

At this time of night, and the house is quiet all is good with the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment